I've been trying to figure out what foods work the best for me before a run. I have discovered that dairy of any kind is pretty much a huge no-no unless I want to spend the rest of the day having major stomach issues. Oatmeal or peanut butter on a wheat english muffin, on the other hand, are big winners. I love peanut butter and thought I was doing myself (and C who gets peanut butter & jelly in his lunch every day) a favor by buying the low-fat kind. Well, I just read on FitSugar that I've actually been doing us a disservice! According to her, "Real peanut butter that's made with plain old peanuts is high in protein and also high in fat, but they're the healthy fats your body needs. When companies make reduced fat varieties, they basically take a small amount of real peanut butter and mix it up with fillers like sugar. Stick to actual peanut butter that's made with only peanuts." Now, I knew that it is healthy fats, but I also just assumed, like a lot of people I hope, that low-fat automatically means better for you! I had no clue about the fillers used in the lower fat kinds. Wow. This is good news in a way because I made my world famous (ok, Leesburg famous) chocolate covered peanut butter balls last week and they were falling apart like crazy, something that didn't happen last year. I was thinking that it was because I used the low-fat peanut butter but was hesitant to buy the full-fat stuff and try again. Now I will for sure!
I think I'll have oatmeal this morning before my run. It's long run day and I am attempting 9 miles...yikes! I'm trying to keep a positive attitude about this and not notice that the temperature right now is a balmy 34 degrees. Hopefully by the time I drop Q off at preschool and hit the path, it will have warmed up to 35!
No comments:
Post a Comment