Yesterday I was not so gung-ho about going for a run but pushed myself out the door anyway. It was cold and my attitude was poor and as a result, I only made it .71 miles. .71, just so you know, is pathetic. That is basically around my block. I stopped and walked back to my house. Yup. Walked. Couldn't even run back. I was panting like you wouldn't believe and I was pissed off. I got home, sat on the couch and pouted. Basically, it was a really bad morning. By the end of the day, I decided to chalk it up to one bad run and to just forget it.
So this morning, I got up and decided I'd run after dropping my son off at preschool. I turned on the news just in time to hear the weather man announce that it was "a very chilly 27 degrees this morning!" 27? I'm supposed to get my mojo back in 27 degree weather?? I put on long pants, long sleeve shirt, a fleece hoodie and a vest but I also packed a gym bag with treadmill appropriate clothes - shorts and a t-shirt - assuming that I'd chicken out and head to the gym. Running on the treadmill already doesn't excite me. I was hoping that I could make it through the month of November before having to do most, if not all, of my runs indoors. But a funny thing happened on the way to preschool. I got a very positive attitude! I was excited to run outside and on a new route. There is a path next to my son's school that I've never run on. You could go for miles and miles on this puppy without a single interruption. So instead of giving in the the gym, I hit the path and I am so glad I did. I think the change of scenery did me a world of good. I felt great, yes, it was cold, but I felt great. Cars were whizzing by me and I could clearly read the looks on the drivers faces: "what the hell is that moron doing?", "I wonder if she is cold?", "Look at that idiot! It's 27 degrees!", "She is crazy...yum, this coffee is fantastic this morning!" It was about that time that I started to watch the ground in front of me rather than the cars. They were not helping my mojo.
The only thing I wish I had done was to wear gloves. My hands were freezing and it seems that no matter how far you run or how much you sweat, your fingers never seem to warm up. I ran a straight out and back route and went for 6 miles which was great for a week day, short run. Lesson learned for today: switch up my routes often.
Song quote of the run came along around mile 4 and was brought to me by OAR:
"There's a chill in the air
Nobody can care
how your
caught up in the fight of your life"
So true. Not one of those drivers looking at me like I had lost my mind had any clue that I am offically in training! Training people!!!
1 comment:
Did your ears get cold?
Post a Comment