Pages

10.19.2011

Les Mills Kicked My A$$ Today!

I finally got back to yoga yesterday.  I can't even remember the last time I went.  Certainly before my knife/toe incident back in June and I think at least a month before that!  I was feeling so stiff after the weekend so I thought it would do me some good to slow down, take a deep breath and stretch.  I was right.  I felt so great after.  I had forgotten (a) just how hard yoga is, and (b) how totally fantastic and relaxed I feel after.  The only thing I did wrong was wait until after yoga to get my run done.  Kinda stupid.  Running on stretched out jello legs is not only hard but probably not very smart.  Lesson learned.  Next Tuesday, I run first, then I get my yoga on!

Today I went to Body Step followed by Body Pump.  The new release in Step is hard-freakin'-core!  I really wish I had worn my heart rate monitor because I would have loved to have known just how close to a heart attack I was!  After, my legs were shot but I stuck around for Pump anyway.  Yeah.  Killer.  The lunge track is never ending and the shoulder track is pure torture.  I am going to be really sore tomorrow....yay!  Love that!

So last night was my first experiment with using flax and water as a substitution for egg when making my bean burgers!  The recipe I love uses one egg white as a binding agent.  I googled 'flax egg' and I swear, came up with 47 different methods.  So, since I was tired and hungry, I picked the easiest one (the idea of cooking the 'goop' first seemed really odd to me).  I used 1 Tbsp of ground flax seed and 3 Tbsp of water.  When I initially mixed it up, I was worried because it seemed so watery but the more it sat as I prepped the other ingredients, the more it thickened up.  I baked the burgers and when I ate them - sans bun - I thought they were falling apart more than when I used to use an egg white but the taste was the same.  And actually, I think I liked them better....they tend to be a bit dry normally and were very moist last night.
Goop on sides of burgers is ground mustard

Served up with my favorite side - sauteed spinach and mushrooms - I was a happy, happy girl!

In other totally unrelated to anything news....know what these are:
When did I go blind??

Yeah.  Readers.  Flippin' old lady readers people!!!  Seriously, out of nowhere I suddenly became one of those people who has to hold a piece of paper way out in front and squint then hand it to my kid and ask him to read it to me!  What. The. Hell.  So when I was at Wegmans the other day, I tried a bunch on and settled on the lowest....um...power? Magnification? Setting?....ones I could find and reluctantly threw them in my cart.  I hate to admit it but they are pretty awesome.  All those pesky little words are not so annoying anymore!  Sigh.....

2 comments:

Angela @ Vegangela.com said...

Hey! Glad to be in touch! Those burgers look awesome - do you have the recipe posted?

Wow, I'm inspired by your tagline... Marathons, eh? I'm still just really beginning to run. So I did the vegan thing already and I guess a half marathon would be next for me?? :)

renae said...

Hey Angela! Thanks for stopping by! I actually didn't post the recipe because they are not mine, I linked to www.cookingwithmykid.com. They are fantastic and couldn't be easier with very few (quinoa, black beans, a bit of taco seasoning and egg white) ingredients.

You help me with the vegan thing, I'll help you with the running!