Pages

1.06.2009

Day 2 - Still Alive

Thank you all for the kind words regarding my jump into Marathon-Mania. I'm beyond freaked out about it but your support is very helpful!! Today was day 2 of marathon training. Well, I guess officially it should have been day 3 since I registered on Sunday but since I spent all of that day laying on the couch crying, "Why, why, WHY?!" I'm not really counting that. Day one was spent spinning and a bit of core training. Today was my favorite hour long strength training class followed by a 5-mile run. Strength training kind of sucked today because we haven't been in a while so she decided to punish us. For some reason, she thought millions of lunges and squats and massive amounts of push ups would be fun. Yeah, woo hoo. So after that, I got on the treadmill and had that leg-buckling moment where I thought twice about running but stuck with it and ran it off. I'm glad I did because it was a good run. Short, but productive! So there!

Tomorrow I shall spin again. I'm convinced all this spinning is building up some kind of super human power in my legs which will help me through this massive challenge ahead of me. I have to keep thinking that way otherwise I'll stop going to spin class. Honestly, I know it's good for the legs and I like the teacher and the music is good, blah, blah, blah, but it's just plain hard!

So now on to an embarrassing issue....cough, cough....anyone got bunions? Yeah, I didn't think I did either. I was sure I had perfect feet until that trip to the running store last spring when the shoe sale guy was kind enough to point them out. Then my mother came to visit, took one look and said, "Yup. Bunions." So. Okay then. Now out of the blue, my left foot/bunion/thing is kind of killing me! What to do?? New shoes? Band-aid?? You know me, I have been attacking it like I do everything else - Advil!!! But really....anyone? Help!

1 comment:

Old School Runner said...

Can't help with the bunions, sorry. I did want to say good luck as you prepare for the marathon. They key is to slowly increase your mileage until you peak about 3 weeks before the race. Your long run should increase in length until it (ideally) reaches 20 miles. You might want to play around with the "SmartCoach" training calculator on the Runners World home page. You can do it!