As it turns out, poor kid was home for the rest of the week. On Thursday afternoon, my father-in-law came over to get my older son from the bus so I had an opportunity to sneak out for a quick run. As luck would have it, it was 49 degrees on Thursday afternoon, a perfect afternoon for a run! I was so happy to get out there and the miles felt very easy under my eager feet. I got 7.6 in and was in a much better mood when I got home. Friday was a treadmill day as was yesterday because it was so crazy windy. And here is what being home with a sick kid all week does to your brain. When I got on the treadmill yesterday, I was sure that I had to get a longish run in because I hadn't run long since last Sunday's 7 miler at the gym. So I plodded on until I had done 8 miles. The last 2 were very hard. My legs were screaming at me. I assumed it was because I hadn't been very active since Quinn had been home sick. When I came upstairs, my husband had to remind me that I had run 7.6 on Thursday and 4 on Friday which may not sound like a lot to you awesome non-stop runners out there but for me who has been spending more time spinning and strength training, it was a lot. Hopefully my mush brain will return to normal today right after I put Quinn on that kindergarten bus!
This morning I read an interesting article on MSNBC via Men's Health titled, "Are You Running Yourself to Death?" I'm happy to report that no, I am not, but I did find this little quote quite hilarious:
Over the course of a generation, the marathon has undergone a startling change in status. What was once a loopy stunt attempted by only a few weirdos is now a rite of passage for many, the coolest test out there of fitness and health.
Do you agree? I have to say I do. As much as I am thrilled and proud of my 2 half marathons, there is that little itty bitty teeny tiny spark in my gut questioning if I could handle a full marathon. That spark needs to shut the hell up because I tend to take those kinds of thoughts as a challenge! And I'm quite happy reading about marathons on all you weirdos* blogs!
*said with love and admiration of course!
4 comments:
I have to agree with that quote. Puhhhlease people are just jealous they can't do it :)
i swore I would never run a full..then a friend begged me to. That was two years ago and I'm only now considering another
Since finishing my first half, my mind's been tumbling with the whole marathon issue too. When I started training with the Galloway group back in May, I planned on training for the marathon, and told people this. When I decided I needed to scale back and train for the half instead, I was a bit apologetic in telling people this at first, until I decided to do an attitude adjustment and be proud of (and enjoy) training for a half.
That said, I've been wondering if I should try to run the companion full marathon in 2009 that I ran the half for back last month. So far, I've talked myself into holding out at least the 2009 calendar year, and building my base mileage. I would love for my first marathon to be a quality effort, and not something I feel rushed into doing as the cool rite of passage. (Here's hoping I don't give in to peer pressure too soon!)
Gee, I shoud've just posted this on my blog! ;>
If you were to consider running a marathon, the only new workout you would need to add is a weekly long run. The length of that long run would progress from 12 miles to 20 miles. You're really not that far off. You ran a 1:49 half over a hilly course. That suggests you can run a 3:50 marathon (see www.mcmillanrunning.com for the calculator). Your qualifying time for the Boston Marathon is 3:45, five minutes faster than your current projected finish time. How's that for a challenge? You can do it!
Post a Comment