Pages

7.10.2008

New Snack, Race Photo Bitch Session, Trail Racing

Crazy Good New Snack:
Have you tried the TrueNorth snacks yet? Holy crap balls are they good!! You have to try them! I had the peanut clusters flavor and oh. my. gosh. Fantastic. They are like Cracker Jacks for grown ups. They are "100% natural, no preservatives, no artificial flavors" and have 5 grams of protein per serving so they are not totally horrible for you....assuming you can stick to the serving size of 6 clusters (which pack 170 calories). They are a super good snack. My only complaint...the bag is too damn small. I found them at Target.

Race Photos:
I just found the cutest photo of my 5-year-old from the Twilight Race we all did a couple of weeks back. He is in full-on sprint mode! I really love it because as I said before, those 1-mile fun runs are always taking place when I'm running so I never get to see my small people in action. I bought a 5x7 of it, totally couldn't resist, but what is it with these race photo companies? WHY are they so expensive?! I would have loved to have it digitally but $39.99?? Really? As it is, I actually shelled out $14.99 for the 5x7 which I think is highway robbery but it's my kid and he is the cutest kid in the entire world so I had to do it, right? The pricing is exactly why I didn't purchase any photos from the half marathon. There were several that I would have liked to have had so I can look at them when I can no longer walk up the stairs, let alone run (like next year) but no way could I justify spending that on a photo of me all sweaty and goofy looking. Scratch that, I wouldn't spend that for a photo of me after a shower and fresh makeup! Anyway, it really pisses me off....obviously.

Trail Running:
I've always wanted to give trail running a go. The street/path/sidewalk thing gets boring fast and my few experiences with 5k's that are considered "cross county" have been such a blast that I really think I'd enjoy trail running. The other day, a friend clued me into EX2 Adventures. They put on a series of fall races called the "Backyard Burn". You chose between 5.5 and 10 mile races. They all sound really fun so without much thought, I hit 'register' and signed up for the first one taking place on October 19th. I signed up for the 5.5 mile run for two reasons: 1) I've never done it, have no idea what it'll be like and don't want to break my ass so lets start smaller; and 2) Oct. 19th is only 1 week after the Baltimore Half so I don't think running 10 miles will be high on my list of things I want to do!
So! If anyone has any advice, send it my way!

4 comments:

chia said...

You should drop my fav running blogger Molly a line - http://mollyrunson.blogspot.com/

She's a VA warrior as well, and a very established trail runner.

Kristina said...

if you have a mac, you can do screen shots of your race photos to have digitally. Not kosher and small resolution, but you'll have them. If you don't have a Mac, let me know the photo URL and I'll do it for you and email them to you. Consider it a service in exchange for the tip about the snacks--I'm so going to Target to pick those up.

Ms. V. said...

I have purchased one race photo, because it had the Golden Gate in the background. In every photo, I look the same: tired and sweaty.

I believe I've purchased my last one.

Kristina said...

True North update: I ate half the bag in the car on the way home from Target. Those things are TOO good.