Lazy lazy lazy day today. It's Monday and for me, Monday's are always a hard day to get motivated to do much of anything. Throw my husband's travel on top of that and the fact that my 4-year-old doesn't have preschool on Monday's and that adds up to a very lazy day.
I managed to snack my way through the better part of the day when all of a sudden, Oprah came on and she had that trainer dude, Bob Greene on! Apparently, Mississippi is the "fattest state in the country" (her words, not mine) and The Grand Ms. O herself is going to single handily slim it down! There she was in the town square with a bajillion people waving their contracts and screaming (as a side note, if I lived there, I'd been a tad bit insulted by her saying over and over and over again "1 in 3 of you is obese! Not just fat! Obese!! All you gotta do is walk down the street counting, 1, 2, fat, 1, 2, fat!" Nice, Oprah). Anyway, Oprah yelling at me was all I needed to get moving. Do you have any idea how much you can do in front of the tv during Oprah? Well, I'm here to tell you! I made up a little living room circuit that consisted of squats and lunges (both with weights), push ups, planks, planks with leg lifts, step ups on the kids kitchen stool, bicep and triceps curls, shoulder press, and rows. I ran through the circuit 4 times (I did each exercise for 30 seconds to one minute, depending on the exercise) then just threw a few more planks in for good measure. Incredible what a little movement will do for a girl on a lazy day! I feel a lot better. Now, if only I could get a run in!
I haven't run since my 9 miler on Saturday. I'm hoping the rain will hold off and I'll be able to get out there on Wednesday when little man is in school. Of course, the challenge there is that so many days will have passed between runs; always makes it extra challenging. I really don't like when my weekly runs get interrupted like this and it makes me incredibly nervous for the half marathon. I just keep trying to remind myself that I have 4 months to continue training. 4 months?? 4 months!!! Ok, now I'm officially nervous.
3 comments:
Wow. I'm going to try that tomorrow on my run. 1-2-Fat? Knowing me, after 3 miles alternate words beginning with "F" will begin to start slipping out... but purely unintentional, I assure you ;-).
Sounds like you did enough planks for the both of us today so I guess I'm off the hook, right?
I'm glad I'm not the only one that holds Oprah as a "not-so-conventional-excersize-aid." If you ever want to read a fun marathon training book, you should check out Dawn Dais' book - The Nonrunner's Marathon Guide for Women: Get Off Your Butt and On with Your Training. Her personal competition with Oprah in this book made me laugh to no end (as well as several other antics of hers) and is just an all around fun book on training. A lot of it consists of "common sense" and I didn't learn much from it... but I have to admit there are times I needed the motivation and looked to this author's candid recollection of her marathon training for motivation.
Happy training :-).
Oh I know what you mean. A break in momentum and somehow it's SO much harder to get out there.
(I've got that Oprah on the Tivo...although I know I won't be bustin out the circuit training while I'm watching it, lol! good job! )
If Oprah says she's going to slim down all of Mississippi, I believe her. that woman can do ANYTHING!
I wish they showed Oprah down here but apparently she's not very popular in Chile, who knew?
Post a Comment